Essential vocabulary additions for the workplace (and elsewhere)…
- SEAGULL MANAGER:
- A manager, who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything, and then leaves.
- The process by which some people seem to absorb success and advancement by kissing up to the boss rather than working hard.
- SALMON DAY:
- The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die in the end.
- XEROX SUBSIDY:
- Euphemism for swiping free photocopies from one’s workplace.
- Entertainment and media spectacles that are annoying but you find yourself unable to stop watching them. The J-Lo and Ben wedding (or not) was a prime example – Michael Jackson, another.
- The rarefied organizational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from the adminisphere are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve.
- Someone who’s clueless. From the World Wide Web error Message “404 Not Found,” meaning that the requested site could not be located.
- CROP DUSTING:
- Surreptitiously passing gas while passing through a Cube Farm.
A continuation of a long line of new words, see BUZZWORDS for 2001… for example.