When I started my new job last December, I saw this very strange sign on the towel dispenser in the restroom. I have no idea what the hell it’s supposed to tell you, since it’s not an automatic dispenser.
As a matter of fact, the dispenser has several design flaws, none of which the sign warns you about:
- If you don’t use both hands on either side of the towel to pull it down, it tears off in your hand without dispensing a whole towel.
- If you pull too fast, the clutch pulls back too much and the towel completely disappears.
- If the towel disappears, there is no indication on how to use the recessed knob (which also doesn’t have a directional arrow) on the right hand side of the dispenser to get the towels started again.
- I have no idea what the waving hand is supposed to mean, unless it means that this particular dispenser doesn’t have a motion detector that senses movement and dispenses a towel which is incredibly obvious since those dispensers seem to always have some kind of LED or electric-eye on the front.
- And the single hand on the left doesn’t seem to mean anything, since the big arrow clearly means, “Towels come out here, idiot”.