Everything you need to know to succeed in life can be learned in three months of basic training:
- You can get along with anybody if you take a lot of showers together.
- No matter how bad your haircut is, it always grows back.
- If you are really hungry, even lousy food is delicious.
- Gunsdokill people, too.
- The fastest way to accomplish something is by not working as fast as you can, but at steadily as you can.
- It is not courage that makes ordinary people perform extraordinary deeds. It is the shame of letting down other people who are counting on you.
- Payday is sweet when you know you have earned it.
- Neatness always counts, so make your bed every day.
- You're never as tired as you think you are, especially when someone starts yelling at you.
- Learn to follow instructions.
- Everyone should wear name tags.
- If you have to, you can eat a meal in 10 minutes. Or less.
- Clean your tools after you use them, because you might not have time later on.
- Singing while you walk with a large group of people doesn't feel nearly as silly as you thought it would.
- Having someone you trust watching your back makes all things seem possible.
By Dennis Rogers, As printed in Ann Landers Newspaper Column