- ¾ cup arborio or other long grain white rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Dissolve cornstarch in ½ cup of the whole milk. Set aside.
- Combine the rice and water in a two quart saucepan. Cook until dry.
- Add sugar, butter, evaporated milk, and the remainder of the whole milk to the cooked rice.
- Cook slowly 40-45 minutes over very low flame. Stirring constantly (Failure to do this can cause a gigantic boilover.)
- Stir the cornstarch mixture and add it to the saucepan. Cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove to serving dish and dust with cinnamon.
Serve warm or cold.
Preparation Time: 1 Hour
Source: Imogene Tolen Patten